ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
The ATJ Tech Fellows program provides law students a dynamic learning experience that merges cutting edge legal education with practical experience.
At the intersection of access to justice and innovation, ATJ Tech Fellows will spend their summer working on innovative programs and initiatives aimed to improve our civil justice system. Fellows will gain practical experience on the varied use of technology in delivering legal services and other translational legal skills.
Our goal is to increase law students' understanding of the systemic barriers that prevent so many from receiving adequate legal services, and empower these students with the knowledge and tools to transform our justice system.
Our experiential learning fellowship integrates virtual classroom learning with practical application. The program is split into two parts: We start with the “Legal Access Innovation Curriculum”, which is a series of eight webinars training sessions over a two-day period designed to educate fellows on the changing landscape of the delivery of legal services. Covering topics ranging from Plain Language for Greater Legal Services Delivery, Online Document Assembly and Automation Tools, Mobile Technologies in Legal Services and much more.
This is followed by a 10-week host placement, where our fellows work with some of our nation's most dynamic legal services organizations in the country, working on innovative projects and initiatives that leverage technology to improve the delivery of legal services for low-income Americans.
"EACH FELLOW WILL RECEIVE TRAINING, SUPPORT, AND OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A REAL IMPACT IN THE WAY LEGAL SERVICES ARE DELIVERED"
All of our fellows will receive:
- A 10-week placement at one of our partner legal services organizations.
- A full-time workload. (35-40hrs per week).
- Designated on-site work space.
- $4,000 stipend to cover expenses over the summer.
- Training from our nation's leading legal experts in technology and access to justice issues.
- A dedicated supervisor who can meet with and provide feedback to the Fellow
- Opportunities to gain exposure to and skills legal services - or advocacy-related work
- Opportunities to gain exposure to the organization’s priorities and build networks within the organization.
- Access to mentors and support from our team
- A hosted blog, where fellows journal their summer experience and complete a series of teaming exercises.
Great candidates are law students with a demonstrated passion for social justice who bring an entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues, and developing solutions.