Kansas Legal Services
Location: Topeka, Kansas
About: Kansas Legal Services (KLS) celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 2017 as a state-wide legal services provider for the poor. The KLS mission is to provide equal access to justice for those without the ability to pay. We accomplish this through direct legal and mediation services and an increasing online presence.
The ATJ Tech Fellow will work with project staff on the new KLS project that includes the production of five videos for pro se clients, and the development of a chatbot and web chat to embed in interactive legal forms. The chatbot will have “canned answers” written for the bot to use when answering users’ questions about the forms. The Tech Fellow will have the opportunity to be part of the chatbot development process. The Tech Fellow will also assist with the other part of the tech project including video development. Activities will include script writing, field testing, production and user evaluation. The videos will be designed for users who are self-representing and need to learn the ins and outs of the courtroom and its procedures. The Tech Fellow will participate in meetings with project stakeholders and assist in evaluating the creative process of the project as it unfolds, or a “process evaluation.”
The Tech Fellow will be provided opportunities to work with attorneys and KLS clients and attend court proceedings as appropriate.
The Tech Fellow will be given the opportunity to participate in the activities of “Live Chat,” specifically by answering website users’ online questions about KLS webpages and forms. The Tech Fellow will be involved in website content development such as new webpages for disaster assistance, content for the KLS pro bono website and the development of HotDocs/A2J online forms.
- Research and develop legal answers for chatbot project;
- Research and develop content of videos and assist with production and field testing;
- Provide legal assistance to low income Kansas residents and work with KLS attorneys and paralegals, including providing limited scope advice and attending court proceedings when appropriate;
- Provide assistance to website users through Live Chat;
- Participate in stakeholder meetings for the project;
- Research and produce content for KLS website, and KLS pro bono website;
- Develop HotDocs/ATJ online forms;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney and Project Director.
Excellent oral and written communication skills;
Website content development experience;
Excellent legal research skills;
Commitment to the mission and vision of Kansas Legal Services;
Ability to prioritize and manage projects and tasks to meet deadlines;
Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as with a team;
Creativity and willingness to take on challenging projects;
Experience with using technology including document assembly, websites and video production, preferred.