Blue Ridge Legal Services
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
About Blue Ridge Legal Services, Inc. provides free legal assistance in civil matters of critical importance to low-income residents of the Shenandoah Valley and Roanoke Valley. BRLS is committed to eliminating poverty-based inequities in the civil justice system by providing high-quality legal advice and representation to low-income residents of our service area, folks who would otherwise be unable to obtain legal help due to their poverty.
BRLS seeks a full-time, 10-week fellow to pursue one or more of the following goals, depending on the skills and interests of the fellow: creation of new technology tools for applying for legal assistance online; creation of new technology tools for filing the most common legal pleadings in Virginia’s courts; developing highly functional legal team sites in Office 365/SharePoint; developing case data visualization templates for communications, reporting and evaluation purposes. The fellowship duties can be tailored to the fellow’s skills and interest.
The fellow will have a significant say in molding the project objectives and final products. Project topics might include: document assembly, online interviews, SharePoint design; or data visualization.
- In conjunction with the supervising attorney, development of a project goal from among the topics described above;
- Development of a technology work plan to accomplish goal within the 10-week time frame
- Implementation and completion of the technology work plan with sufficient time remaining for evaluation and necessary refinements.
- Self-motivated and assertive with a desire to seek out and pursue opportunities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Technology adoption skills (willing and able to learn new technology)
- Basic Project Management skills/Ability to prioritize and manage projects and tasks to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of BRLS.
- Creativity and willingness to take on challenging projects.