Atlanta Legal Aid Society
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
About: The Atlanta Legal Aid Society (ALAS) has represented Atlanta's poor in civil legal cases since 1924. Our work helps our clients deal with some of life's most basic needs -- a safe home, enough food to eat, a decent education, protection against fraud, and personal safety.
ALAS seeks a full-time, 10-week legal technology Fellow to work on our web site accessibility project. The Fellow will work actively on improving the accessibility of GeorgiaLegalAid.org and conduct a site-wide content review and replicate the LawHelp triage portal developed by the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii. The fellow will also work with PBN to publicize and promote accessibility best practices through a national guidebook—coordinating their efforts with concurrently-planned accessibility-related work for Drupal-based websites. Finally, the fellow will assist ALAS and PBN for the next generation of the LawHelp platform.
- Research and develop legal resources for use by self-represented litigants, with a particular emphasis on resources for the GeorgiaLegalAid.org triage portal.
- Research and develop legal resources for use by pro bono attorneys, with a particular emphasis on resources for the new ALAS Atlanta Pro Bono website.
- Develop a plan to assess the effectiveness of online resources on GeorgiaLegalAid.org and the new ALAS Atlanta Pro Bono website and, as time allows, conduct the assessment and write a report on the outcomes.
- Research and produce client education materials for GeorgiaLegalAid.org and other client education initiatives.
- Develop an Olmstead Rights online triage interview for parents of children with disabilities for use on OlmsteadRights.org.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Advisor.
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent legal research skills
Strong knowledge of web-based legal information and intake systems
Familiarity with the legal needs of low-income Atlanta residents, and a strong commitment to working on these issues
Ability to work effectively with our clients and partner agencies
Strong independent work skills
Ability to work in a high-volume, fast-paced environment